Yazoo County Mississippi Genealogy & History Network










About The Blue Front Cafe


(Submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)



The Blue Front Cafe opened in 1948 under the ownership of Carey and Mary Holmes, an African American couple from Bentonia. In its heyday The Blue Front Cafe was famous for its buffalo fish, blues, and moonshine whiskey. One of the couples's sons, Jimmy Holmes, took over the cafe in 1970 and continued to operate it as an informal, down-home blues venue that gained international fame amomg blues enthusiasts.



Back to Yazoo County Histories