(Submitted by Gerald & Tammy Westmoreland)
The area that later became Benton, Mississippi was first settled in 1828 by William Y. Gadberry. Benton served as the county seat of Yazoo County from 1829 - 1850. The first court for the county was held in Gadberry's home. The town of Benton was chartered in 1836. Nearby Cedar Grove Plantation was home of Colonel John Sharp Williams and famed Senator John Sharp Williams.